I’m someone who can’t live without her morning cup of coffee, and her afternoon pick-me-up coffee, and sometimes even a little after dinner coffee. I’ve cut back since my days in an office when I would refill my cup countless times to get through the work grind.
But, instead of the coffees that give you enough boost to get you through a day of office tedium, I prefer the coffees I drink with intention. Sitting on my back porch as the sun gets higher in the sky, and the dogs are playing in the grass, and the to-do list in my head is just starting to blossom. And when I get the opportunity to have one of those coffees, there is no better accompaniment than a delicious almond chocolate biscotti. The chocolate in these biscotti is given a boost with a little coffee right in the batter and the roasted almonds and chocolate are a dream together.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons strong, dark coffee, room temperature
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup slivered and blanched almonds, toasted
- Heat pan on med-high and toast almonds for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until they start to turn slightly golden and aromatic.
- Allow almonds to cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the brown and white sugar with the eggs on high until they become thick and start to lighten in color (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add vanilla extract and beat to incorporate.
- Add coffee and beat to incorporate.
- Gently stir in cocoa powder until completely incorporated.
- Next, add the baking powder, salt and flour, a little at a time, and stir until well combined.
- Finally, fold the almonds and chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Transfer dough to floured surface and form into a log that is about 12" x 4".
- Place log on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until firm.
- Allow log to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature of oven to 315°F.
- Cut log into slices of about ½ inch thick along a diagonal.
- Place slices on their sides on the baking sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Turn over slices and bake on other side for 8-9 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack and allow to cool.
Treat yourself to a little indulgence with your next coffee, tea or glass of milk!
Calories Per Serving: 268