Every once and awhile I get the urge to try to clear out my pantry and freezer. Instead of buying groceries for what I feel like for the week, I look to my pantry and freezer. I ask myself what I can make to use up the ingredients I have. I like it for three reasons. The first is that I lower the chances of ingredients getting stale or freezer burnt. The second is that it kicks my imagination and creativity into high gear. The third is that is cuts down food waste. That is how this Vegan Orange Pound Cake was born.
I decided we needed a dessert to accompany a dish I was preparing for dinner. There were some oranges on hand. As for the other ingredients, I was sure I could scrounge them up. Once I started pulling everything out to begin preparations I realized I didn’t have eggs. Recently I had tried substituting flax seeds for eggs to great success so I thought I would try that again. It was then that I decided that I should try to make the recipe vegan and eliminate the butter as well. The result is this Vegan Orange Pound Cake.
- 1½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pure organic cane sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seed
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- Olive oil cooking spray
- In a small bowl, stir together ground flax seed and water and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine well.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together olive oil and sugar.
- Add flax mixture to the wet ingredients and mix with mixer on low until well combined. Mixture will be slightly gummy.
- To the wet mixture add vanilla and ¼ cup of orange juice and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Add dry mixture to wet and stir gently until well combined.
- Add orange zest and stir until fully distributed.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 65-70 minutes.
To up the sweet factor on this Vegan Orange Pound Cake you can add a glaze. Simply add a small splash of orange juice to a cup of icing sugar and stir until combined. The glaze should be a little runny so that it pours over the loaf, yet not so runny that it keeps on flowing all over the counter.
There are a couple of things to note about this Orange Vegan Pound Cake. First, it’s a dense loaf. Second, it has a slight nutty undertone due to the flax seed egg substitute. That being said, it’s delicious! A great alternative to a traditional pound cake without the eggs or butter!