As the name implies, this German Coffee Cake goes great with a hot cup of coffee! Yes! Coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, java, mocha, cappuccino! But, equally delicious with a tea or milk for those inclined. Half the recipe and it bakes well in a loaf pan to have on hand as an afternoon treat for the family. Double it and bake it in a springform pan to please a larger crowd. It’s got just the right amount of sweetness.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1½ cups of granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix softened butter with sugar.
- Add the eggs, and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the sour cream until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir well.
- In a small bowl combine the filling ingredients.
- Pour half of the batter into a lightly greased springform pan.
- Cover the batter with half of the filling mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter into the springform pan.
- Cover with the remaining filling.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes out cleanly.
The sour cream gives the German Coffee Cake a lovely flavor and keeps it moist. A great offering for a social occasion or indulgent afternoon treat for yourself!
Calories Per Serving: 370