If you’ve ever traveled to Barbados you probably know how prevalent Macaroni Pie is – and with good reason! Flavorful, cheesy, pasta deliciousness topped with a crisp, golden brown bread topping. However, this dish deserves recognition well beyond the island’s borders.
Mac Pie is such a versatile side dish – it goes with so much. Seems like I’ve had several requests for it as a side dish at family gatherings over the years. Conversely, it’s equally appreciated with some fish and a salad for a casual summer dinner.
Here’s How to Make Bajan Macaroni Pie:
- 1 16 oz. package large elbow macaroni
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cups grated onion
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ⅛ cup yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta with 2 cups of the grated cheddar cheese (reserve one cup for later use).
- Add eggs, milk, onion, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed.
- Transfer mixture to greased 13" x 9" casserole dish.
- Cover mixture with reserved cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over entire dish.
- Evenly distribute small dots of the butter over the bread crumbs.
- Bake in 375° F oven for 25-30 minutes.
Another bonus of this appetizing Bajan Macaroni Pie is that it heats up like a dream. So if you want to prepare it ahead of time for an event, or you just have leftovers you’re heating up for lunch, it holds up just like it was fresh out of the oven.
Bajan Mac Pie How-To-Video:
Much as there are many Mac & Cheese recipes, variations to this dish are not uncommon. That being said, feel free to give it your own flare! If you’re a cheese addict add another cup of cheese… or two. I won’t judge you. On the other hand if you like things a little spicy, then add a little Bajan hot sauce to the mix to give your Mac Pie some zip! Most of all, there are also going to be some Bajan grandmothers out that that say it’s not a real Mac Pie without sweet green peppers. Have at it, if that floats your boat. The important thing to know is that YOU NEED THIS IN YOUR LIFE!