We were feeling a bit brunchy today since it was a holiday. And, I don’t think there’s a better brunch food than quiche. It’s so versatile and sooooo tasty! It’s almost impossible to get wrong too! Although it drives the dogs a little crazy any time we prepare something with bacon, we decided to add bacon to the quiche because, quite frankly, everything is better with bacon! But, there’s spinach in there too so that eases some of the guilt of this pleasurable Spinach and Bacon Quiche.
- 6-8 slices of bacon, chopped
- ⅓ cup green onion, chopped finely
- 2 heaping cups of baby spinach
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ container Boursin herbed cheese, crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 2¼ cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Dash of ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a frying pan, cook chopped bacon on medium-high heat until chewy to crispy depending on your preference. Drain bacon fat.
- Add green onions and spinach to pan and cook until green onions tender and spinach has wilted. Pat mixture with paper towel to remove any excess bacon grease.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, cheeses, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until well combined.
- Fold the cooled bacon and spinach into the mixture.
- Press the pie crust into a 9 inch round pan. Crimp excess around top of sides. Fill pie crust with quiche mixture.
- Place quiche in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes.
If you’re looking for a simple homemade pie crust recipe, check this out: A Simple Recipe for Pie Crust
Although Popeye can eat spinach from a can, I need a more palatable delivery system for this superfood. Usually I deliver it to myself in a healthy green smoothie, but sometimes I allow myself a more decadent way – like this Spinach and Bacon Quiche.
Once the quiche has finished baking, the crust should be a nice golden brown and the custard cooked through but still have some wiggle if you shake the pan. As a breakfast or brunch food it has all the bases covered. Afterwards you can reheat the leftovers and serve for dinner later in the week with a nice salad. It will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days if well covered.
Calories Per Serving: 374